Substantive Depth, Global Breadth
Jones Day’s construction lawyers, many with backgrounds in architecture, engineering, construction, and real estate development, regularly advise U.S., international, and multi-national owners/employers, contractors, consultants, and public sector entities on a wide variety of contract and disputes matters worldwide.
We provide the full range of legal support for construction-related issues, representing clients in the initiation of projects and preparation of contract documents, acting as project counsel, and handling dispute resolution matters, including negotiation, adjudication, mediation, arbitration, and trial. Our construction team is located in offices across the U.S, Europe, the Middle East, Asia, Latin America, and Australia.
Our team includes Fellows in the American College of Construction Lawyers and leaders in the construction bar, and we regularly author articles and speak on matters affecting the construction industry. Our lawyers are recognized for excellence by directories such as Chambers
, Who’s Who Legal
, The Legal 500
, and Best Lawyers in America
Structuring, Drafting & Negotiation, Project Controls, Troubled Project Intervention, Insurance, and Dispute Resolution
Our construction team regularly advises owners, contractors, and design and engineering professionals on a wide range of matters arising from projects across the globe. The breadth of our team’s legal services ranges from strategic advice on project delivery and procurement (including progressive pricing and risk allocation approaches) and the negotiation and drafting of project documentation (including project controls) to advising clients on troubled projects, pursuing insurance recoveries, and handling dispute resolution matters (including claim negotiation, mediation, conciliation, dispute adjudication/review boards, arbitration, and trial).
Our capabilities encompass all types of problems that can arise in the construction process, such as procurement and bid disputes, delays, differing site conditions, bond claims, added work, and reduced productivity, as well as contract terminations for default, impossibility, insolvency, and convenience, along with pursuing or defending claims for wrongful termination. In addition, we have in-depth experience addressing a wide range of problems with completed projects, such as acceptance of project completion, defective workmanship or equipment, structural failures, defective design, and warranty issues.
A distinctive element of our team is our focus on assisting troubled projects in reaching successful completion, while avoiding the need for formal dispute resolution procedures. Also, often working in conjunction with Jones Day’s insurance recovery lawyers, we are experienced at leveraging insurance coverage to aid in recovering construction defect losses.
When disputes cannot be avoided, our clients are represented by experienced trial and arbitration lawyers who understand the issues, know the relevant dispute forum, can identify and utilize appropriate experts, and appreciate how to effectively and efficiently manage disputes to resolution.
Infrastructure, Power, Oil & Gas, Bridges, Mining, and Building
Our experience spans a broad array of projects, from general building to complex infrastructure:
Representative Project Experience
- Transportation and infrastructure projects, such as bridges, port facilities and terminals, airports, highways, tunnels, pipelines, rail facilities, dams, and sewerage and water treatment facilities
- Power plants, including oil, gas, coal, nuclear, solar, wind, and other renewable energies, as well as electricity transmission and distribution projects and nuclear remediation and decommissioning
- Refineries, fuel enrichment facilities, pipelines, LNG terminals and marine transportation projects, and offshore and floating production and storage facilities
- Industrial projects, such as manufacturing facilities, chemical plants, pharmaceutical plants, clean rooms, warehouses, and distribution centers
- Mines and mineral processing plants
- Hospitals and other health-care facilities
- Government projects, including military installations and equipment, courthouses, embassies, and space launch facilities
- Commercial projects, such as stadiums, commercial towers, hotels and hospitality establishments, museums, schools, universities, casinos, and theme parks
- Large-scale residential developments
Our team has played key roles in some of the largest and most prominent infrastructure projects around the globe. To review more than 500 examples of our experience, please visit our searchable experience database on the Home page or Search Our Experience page of this site.
- Channel Tunnel (containing the world’s longest undersea tunnel)
- Jamnagar Refinery Complex, India (the world’s largest crude oil refinery)
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (one of the world’s largest privately funded rail projects)
- Medellín Metro mass-transit railway project, Colombia
- Alameda Corridor consolidated rail project, Los Angeles
- New Tacoma Narrows Suspension Bridge, Washington
- Collapse of the Koror-Babeldaob Bridge, Palau
- Boston Central Artery/Tunnel project
- Gateway Bridge and Legacy Way projects, Australia
- Stonecutters Bridge, Hong Kong (one of the world’s longest cable-stayed bridges)
- Collinsville, Newlands, Goonyella, and Mount Owen mines, Australia
- Vogtle Units 3&4 Nuclear Electric Generating Plant, Georgia (the first new U.S. nuclear power project in 30 years)
- Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating Facility, California (the world’s largest solar thermal project)
- Meizhou Wan Power Station, China
- Al Taweelah Power Station, Abu Dhabi
- Yanbu Stage 3 Power Plant, Saudi Arabia
- Millmerran and Callide Power Stations, Australia
- CityCenter hotel/condo/casino development, Las Vegas (the largest privately funded construction project in U.S. history)
- Barwa Al Baraha city project, Qatar
- Taipei 101 skyscraper (once the world’s tallest building, now second)
- Kingdom Tower, Saudi Arabia (will be the world’s tallest at more than 1 kilometer)
- Rose Rock Financial Center, Tianjin (will be one of China’s tallest buildings)
- China Central Television Center, Beijing
Simply put, we have the experience, depth, resources, and geographic footprint to handle virtually any type of construction project anywhere in the world.